Roseville MN Homepage

Unwanted Solicitors

City of Roseville staff often get complaints from homeowners who have door-to-door salespeople pressuring them to buy products or services. In the warmer months complaints usually deal with salespeople trying to sell tree trimming, lawn repair or other landscaping projects. Many solicitors target senior citizens and try to scare them into making immediate decisions. If someone is at your door and you feel pressured to make a decision, tell the person to leave. If they do not leave, call 911.

Solicitation in Roseville is legal, but if you ask the person to leave and he/she does not, call Roseville Police at 651-767-0640. If you feel threatened, immediately call 911.

Roseville Police have put together a flyer on solicitation which includes a sample No Solicitors sign.

Building Contractors
The State requires building contractors to be licensed. Ask to see their license number then contact the Department of Labor and Industry at 651-284-5065 to verify if the license is current or if they have any unresolved complaints. Roseville city staff carry a picture identification card. Ask to see proper identification before letting anyone into your home.

Before You Hire Someone
  • Ask your friends or neighbors for recommendations for companies or individuals.
  • Check references, and check with the Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been filed against the person or company.
  • Do not let anyone pressure you into making an immediate decision about their products or services.
  • Do not work with a contractor who requires full or substantial prepayment on work.
  • Do not pay in full until work is completed to your satisfaction.
Business Licensing
The city requires the following businesses or individuals to be licensed. Licensing verifies that they are carrying insurance, which is a protection to homeowners. Call 651-792-7005 to check whether their license is current.
  • Tree Removal Companies
  • Tree Trimmers
  • Fertilizer Companies
  • Heating Contractors
  • Driveway Installers
  • Cement and Brickwork Companies
  • Sewer and Water Repair Companies
Contact the Attorney General’s Office at 651-296-3353 if you believe you have not received the services for which you paid.
  1. Roseville MN Homepage

Contact Us

  1. Roseville City Hall

  2. 2660 Civic Center Drive

  3. Roseville, MN 55113

  4. Monday - Friday
    8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

  5. Phone: 651-792-7000

  6. Email Us

Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow