View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Parks and Recreation Commission


Meeting Minutes

June 3, 2014

6:30 p.m.

 

PRESENT:     Azer, Diedrick, Doneen, Gelbach, D. Holt, M. Holt, Newby

ABSENT:       Boehm, Stoner, and Wall notified staff about being unable to attend

STAFF:          Anfang, Brokke

 

 

1.    INTRODUCTIONS

 

2.    ROLL CALL/PUBLIC COMMENT

No Public Comment. Agenda adjusted to accommodate Commissioner Wall who needed to leave meeting early.

 

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES - MAY 6, 2014 MEETING

Commission Recommendation: 

Minutes for the May 6, 2014 meeting were approved unanimously.

 

4.    ELECTION OF CHAIR and VICE CHAIR

Commission Recommendation: 

Motion by Diedrick, second by Azer to nominate David Holt to the position of Parks and Recreation Commission Chair. D. Holt indicated his willingness to continue but wanted the Commission to have a discussion including consideration of Commissioner Terms when nominating. Following discussion, the motion passed unanimously.

 

Motion by Doneen, second by Gelbach to nominate Lee Diedrick to the position of Parks and Recreation Commission Vice Chair. Diedrick indicated her willingness to serve as Vice Chair. Motion passed unanimously.

 

5.    PREPARE for JOINT CITY COUNCIL/COMMISSION MEETING

In an effort to prepare for the Joint Meeting with the City Council, the Commission spent time reviewing goals, accomplishments and making assignments to Commission members on certain topics to lead at the meeting. Those assignments are as follows:

·         Diedrick & M. Holt will speak to the council on the Volunteer Coordinator position and enhanced volunteer participation

·         Doneen will cover the Natural Resource, Forestry and Trails area as well as the cooperative work completed by members of the Parks & Recreation Commission and the PWET Commission.

·         Gelbach will update the Council on the Commission?s communication efforts

·         D. Holt will share information on the Renewal Program

·         Newby will handle the Community Center topic

·         D. Holt will provide a status update on the Local Option Sales Tax

·         Wall will review latest Park Board Materials and look for direction from the Council

 

Commission member Azer indicated that she was unable to attend the joint meeting due to a work conflict.

 

Commission agreed to gather at 6pm on Monday, June 9 prior to the meeting to be present and prepared for when the item comes up on the City Council agenda.

 

 

6.    PARKS AND RECREATION RENEWAL PROGRAM STATUS

Brokke updated the commission on Renewal Package A the buildings and shelters; work has begun in Lexington Park. Fencing has also gone up in Villa Park and Sandcastle Park. Staff is working to finalize the remaining package contracts.

 

7.    STAFF REPORT

Brokke reported;

·         The Commission for Accredited Parks and Recreation Agency (CAPRA) visitation team was in town May 20-22. We are proud to report that Roseville achieved 100% of the 144 standards.

o    Thanks to Assistant Director Anfang for leading this process with high achievement and to the entire staff for their part in the success. 

o    Commission members spoke about the importance of communicating the Accreditation accomplishments.

o    Lonnie explained the benefits and significance of the Accreditation process.

·         There are two Community Build Playground projects coming up; we are still looking for volunteers at Howard Johnson Park from noon - 4pm this Saturday, June 7.

·         There has been a preliminary inquiry into a cell tower at Evergreen Park. ATT has suggested using the hockey rink light poles. This is a very early inquiry and staff is looking for the Commission?s input. Commission members agreed that it would be worth getting more information. We will be bringing back more information as it is received.

 

8.  OTHER

·         M. Holt asked about how FORParks might go about starting the discussion on changing the City Ordinance relating to alcohol vendors at the Skating Center to allow for more vending opportunities at the upcoming FORParks Uncorked event.

o    Brokke explained how the ordinance has changed/evolved over time. The adjacent city factor has come to be to aid in controlling and limiting the alcohol providers allowing for a consistency in service and understanding of operations.

o    Commissioners followed up with a discussion on considerations for the current ordinance being changed.

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 8:25pm

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Jill Anfang, Assistant Director