View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
Parks and Recreation
Parks and Recreation Commission Minutes
June 9, 2009
PRESENT: Hiber, D. Holt, M. Holt, Pederson, Ristow, Stark, Willmus
ABSENT: Brodt Lenz, Etten, Kendall
STAFF: Brokke, Anfang
1. INTRODUCTIONS/ROLL CALL/PUBLIC COMMENT
No Public Comment
Julia Jacobson, an applicant for the soon to be vacant student representative position on the Parks and Recreation Commission, visited with the commission to voice her interest in the position and talked about the significance of having a youth perspective on City Boards. Julia will be a Junior at Roseville Area High School in the fall.
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES - MAY 5, 2009 MEETING
Commission Recommendation: Minutes for the May 5, 2009 meeting were approved unanimously.
3. DEPARTMENT REVIEW
Anfang presented information on a number of upcoming community events, including the Rosefest schedule and July 4th happenings.
4. DISCUSS AND PREPARE FOR JOINT COMMISSION/CITY COUNCIL MEETING
In preparation for the upcoming joint City Council / Commission meeting staff shared materials pertaining to the most recent City Comprehensive Plan, Commission goals and objectives and the current Parks and Recreation project inventory. Willmus had requested the inventory of projects to help the Commission better understand the scope of needs and get everyone thinking about setting priorities for this list.
Commission discussion centered on PIP and department staffing levels as the main topics for discussion. Commissioners also suggested discussing with the City Council their level of support for a bond referendum to support parks and recreation updates and renovation.
Commissioners also talked about the need for improved communication between the Council and the Commission and asked for this topic to be added to the agenda for the Joint Meeting. Communication will be necessary for a successful Master Plan process.
5. CONTINUE COMMISSION GOALS DISCUSSION
Commissioner Stark briefed the Commission on the background of Commission goals and objectives.
Chair Willmus suggested that the Parks and Recreation Commission goals and objectives be connected to the Imagine Roseville 2025 findings.
Commissioner D. Holt suggested that action steps should be connected to the goals.
It was agreed that the Commission goals would be added as an agenda item for the September meeting.
6. DIRECTOR'S REPORT
· Master Plan - four firms have been interviewed, looking to recommend one firm to the Council on June 29.
· Thank you to all Commissioners for their attendance at the Frank Rog Amphitheater dedication June 7.
· We are lucky to have a very talented Park Maintenance staff. Thank you to everyone who worked on rebuilding the Amphitheater Deck.
· Arboretum Restroom - Finalizing an agreement between the Central Park Foundation and the City of Roseville where CPF would own the project and then gift the finished facility over to the City.
· Playground Installation - Valley Park Playground has been completed, Sarah Brodt Lenz spoke and cut the ribbon at the June 3rd Discover Your Parks. Dale Street Playground is nearing completion, a July celebration is in the works to recognize FORParks $55,000 contribution to this playground.
· State Bonding Projects - OVAL tarmac and scoreboard/message board plans and specifications are being prepared.
· Rosebrook Pool is not open and probably will not open until mid to late July. The delay in opening the pool is due to engineering challenges related to compliance for the Abigail Taylor Pool Safety Act.
· The city is currently participating in a cost allocation study.
· The 2010 budget has been submitted - not much has changed from the 2009 budget.
· We have recently been involved in discussions with Roseville Area School District in regards to addressing a gender equity concern involving baseball and softball facilities.
· Completed the 15 Year Accreditation process late last month. The visiting team was especially impressed by Roseville's extensive community involvement.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm
Jill Anfang, Assistant Director