April was an active month for your Roseville Firefighters. In addition to a continued high volume of emergency responses, we also participated in community events and outreach, and participated in some excellent training. One important training this past month was our live fire training that we hosted at the East Metro Training Facility in Maplewood. We performed multiple evolutions in which our firefighters went through scenarios of deploying hose-lines, fire suppression, search and rescue, and incident command. We were joined by members of the Lake Johanna and Maplewood Fire Departments for this training. Our shared services partners are vital to our response in the community.
One important safety item I want to address in this month’s report is carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide alarms. Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas. It is most often produced by cooking and heating units that burn fuel and are not properly ventilated or the units or ventilation system have malfunctioned, causing it to accumulate in your home. Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning may include headache, nausea, fatigue, vomiting, and disorientation.
Carbon monoxide alarms are critical for your housing unit to keep you and your family safe. Similar to smoke alarms, they should be tested monthly, and replaced regularly per the manufacturer’s recommendation. If a CO alarm sounds you should evacuate immediately and call 911 from outside your home or building. When installing CO alarms, make sure they are within 10 feet of each sleeping room or inside each sleeping room. If you need assistance with these alarms do not hesitate to reach out to us!
The NFPA has a great collection of safety tips and more information about carbon monoxide. Click the picture below to find out more.