Do you know how much water a family of four uses every day in the United States? Not 50 gallons, not 100 gallons, but 400 gallons! You could take up ten baths with that much water - but who would want to do that?
The City of Roseville is a partner (PDF) with the EPA in the EPA WaterSense. The WaterSense Program seeks to protect the future of our nation's water supply by promoting water efficiency and enhancing the market for water-efficient products, programs, and practices. Products carrying the WaterSense label perform well and help save money.
In our partnership the city helps promote water conservation through water rate structures where higher users pay a higher usage fee.
U of M Irrigation Survey
The U of M Extension has been working with the Metropolitan Council on reducing homeowner water use, specifically irrigation. As part of the research a survey has been developed to collect information regarding irrigation use.
See the Met Council flyer for more information.
Ways to Conserve Water
There are many ways to save water. Here are the top 5 ways to conserve water according to the Water Saver Home website.
- Find and fix leaks
- Replace your old toilet, the largest water user in your house
- Replace your washer, the second largest water user in you house
- Water saving landscape design, such as rain gardens
- Water plants only when they're thirsty
Water & Your HealthFor information about what is in your water, Roseville’s Annual Water Quality Report includes detailed information for consumers.
H20 the Original Health Drink
A human can last longer without food than without water. By drinking a healthy amount of water, at least 8 eight-ounce glasses of water a day:
- Helps digest your food and keep hunger at bay. Drinking just one glass of water can alleviate hunger pangs.
- Helps replace fluids lost through breathing and perspiration.
- Removes toxins in your body and improves the health of your skin.
- Increases productivity by improving concentration.
- Aids in weight loss through increasing metabolism.
Everyone has different water needs depending on body type and size. To determine how much water you should drink to achieve the most health benefits, check out what the Mayo Clinic recommends.
Water Saving Fun for Kids
Water saving can be fun! Play the “Test Your WaterSense” game.
Water Conservation at Home
Children can help with water conservation too. Check out the water conservation page by Improvenet for more information.