View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
Parks and Recreation
Parks and Recreation Commission Minutes
JUNE 5, 2007
PRESENT: Brodt Lenz, Johnson, Kamrath, Pederson, Ristow, Stark, Willmus
ABSENT: Kruzel (notified staff of absence)
STAFF: Brokke, Anfang,
1. INTRODUCTIONS/ROLL CALL/PUBLIC COMMENT
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – MAY 1, 2007 MEETING
Commission Recommendation: Minutes of the May 1, 2007 meeting were unanimously approved.
Staff informed commission members that Kathleen Selz will not be able to continue as a commissioner.
Jeff Johnson recommended that the council move to take the second candidate from the most recent appointment.
Council has decided to open the applicants again to fill the position.
3. UNITED PROPERTIES PROPOSAL #4 NEAR LANGTON LAKE PARK
Briefing by Brokke on the latest proposal from United Properties for the property adjacent to Langton Lake Park.
· Rendition 4 presented. This plan is the results of consultation with parks & recreation staff, the developer, landscape consultant and the community development staff.
· Commissioners voiced comments that included … should we look at the Master Plan for Langton Lake Park at this time? Is this an opportunity to do something around the wetland?
Generally, the current concept is most acceptable; staff will keep the commission updated on the process.
4. DEPARTMENT REVIEW
Jill Anfang briefed the Commission on upcoming and recently hosted events, activities and department happenings.
5. DISCUSS MEETING START TIMES
The question was raised by commission members if the membership would be open to adjusting the start time of monthly meetings.
Motion by Ristow to change the start time of Parks and Recreation Commission meetings to 6:30pm. Second by Willmus. Motion passed unanimously.
6. HANC PLANNING COMMITTEE UPDATE
Sarah, Bob, Gale and Jim reviewed process to date. Sarah reviewed tour of the Boardwalk area. Overall, the delegates reported on the group discussions and brainstorming goals and commented on what a well-rounded group the committee was.
7. IMAGINE ROSEVILLE 2025 STEERING COMMITTEE BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS
Commission watched the Imagine Roseville 2025 Steering Committee broadcast highlighting discussions pertaining to the parks and recreation system.
· Overall, the message from the community is that residents want to maintain our parks and open spaces.
o Commission discussion centered on the need to invest more into the park system to support maintenance needs.
o Commission recognized the strong connection between community volunteers and the Roseville Parks System.
o Commission commended the Steering Committees work in pulling together the messages from the community.
o Commission commented that the report supports requests for needed increases to PIP funding and maintenance support.
o Commission recognized the connection between the environmental interests voiced and the current parks and recreation process for review and analysis by the geothermal consultant at the Skating Center.
8. DIRECTOR’S REPORT
· GeoXcergy will present their findings at an August or September council meeting. Discussion of the Geothermal feasibility study followed.
· 2008 Budget Update – process may be different this year. Departments may present preliminary materials as early as July.
· The parks and recreation budget has been prepared with additional maintenance spending taking the budget to an increase of over 3%.
· Commission recommended that staff budget for $300,000 in the PIP fund.
· Motion by Ristow to recommend the 2008 budget include $300,000 for PIP funding, second by Pederson, discussion followed including comments that the Imagine Roseville findings speak volumes on the need to increase PIP funding. Motion passed unanimously.
· Skating Center construction is progressing as scheduled. Restroom project is completed with minimal punch list items. Work at the south entry has begun, footing have been poured.
· Looking into implementing a goose removal program using dogs. Dr. Jim Cooper has proposed a way to manage the geese but it comes with a price tag. Staff has decided to try a more affordable process with the dogs to see if there are any positive results.
· Resolution to pursue funding in the 2008 state bonding bill, looking to possibly add the geothermal project to the bonding requests.
· Commission questioned whether HANC had enough of a regional draw to be included in the bonding request.
· August meeting to be held at park site. Staff to determine site between Sandcastle Park and Oasis Park. Bring your bug spray.
Meeting adjourned at 8:35 pm